Sunday, June 15, 2008

ME by Erykah Badu

Everything around you see
The Ankhs, the wraps, the plus degrees
And yes even the mysteries

It's all me
Sometimes it hard to move you see

When you growing publicly

But if I have to chose between

I chose me

Had 2 babies different dudes

And for them both my love was true

This is my last interview (ooh)

Hey there's me (ooh)

This year I turned 36

Damn it seems it came so quick

My ass and legs have gotten thick yeah
It's all me


I use to pray to God above
But now I'm filled with so much love

But even if the world can't see

It's still me

Will I escape this vanity?

Or will I keep on smoking trees?
But I'll just let it go

and be, be, be Me


Ah, leave it alone babe

Well well well

Ah oh, leave it alone babe

Just being me

Ah, leave it alone babe

Well well well

Ah oh, leave it alone babe

Just being me


Sometimes I don't know what to say
So many leaders to obey

But I
was born on savior's day, yes
So I chose me

And in this world of greed and hate

They may try to erase my face

But millions spring up in my place (ooh)

Believe in me


As sure is all and all is one
We all should grow before it's done

So I salute you Farrakhan, yes
Cuz you are me

Before I end this crazy dream

Before I take one for the team

Yo ass done matched the gasoline, yes

That's Collene



Youtube clip

This track is off of Erykah's most recent endeavor, New Amerykah: Part One (4th World War) (released Feb. 26, 2008). Though I haven't given this album as much play as I'd liked to, I can definitely vouch for it. Recently, this track in particular spoke to me. It's honesty and vulnerability is a destination I've sought out on many occasion is 2008. The part of the song between 4:24 and 5:37 is a little baffling but sounds like a shout out laced with family history to me (apologies to the youtube clip viewers because the clip I selected has the best accompanying visuals but cuts off a solid ten seconds of the song... Sometimes you have to pick your poison). Subsequent listens generate a greater sense of clarity and understanding but isn't that a sign of great art?!?

If you haven't heard the album and would like to take a gander, you can find it here on my site: tuttafucco's mP3 melange. Just holla if you have ?'s.

Thank You Erykah!! I hope to see you there one day.

Sincerely,

Willie Tuttafucco,
aspiring transparent being
growing one blog and one day at a time






No comments: