Thursday, July 24, 2008

C'Mon!!! You're Better Than That...


I've recently gotten into the habit of stopping by the local 7-11 to get my daily fix of AriZona Iced Tea tall cans (aka the 99 cents special). On the morning in question, I added a couple of random items, bringing my total to $2.39. The cashier was mid-conversation with a co-worker so I slid a $5 bill and 39 cents across the counter. The cashier bagged up my items, put my $5.39 in the register, closed the register drawer, and then looked at me blankly (all while continuing his conversation mind you). I returned the blank stare and he quickly realized I was waiting for something. I reminded him that I gave him $5.39 and he asked if I gave him 5 "singles".

Is this guy for real?!? Why on god's green earth would I have given you 5 singles and 39 cents? So you could give give me back three different one-dollar bills? Do you think I come in here everyday to launder one-dollar bills? Do I look like a penny-candy pusher that would launder money at a 7-11? Besides, you don't have to be connected to the mob to know the safest place to launder money under 10 grand is a bank. Holla at me off-line if you'd like me to detail the process (wink,wink)...

I increased the intensity of the blankness in my stare and kindly reminded him there's a picture of Abe Lincoln in the register drawer with my fingerprints on it. Truth is, I had time to spare if he needed to call the 7-11 Forensics Team to verify that fact. After his co-worker silently nodded, he opened the register and handed me three G-Dubbs and I was on my way...

I continued on to work wondering if I should continue to patronize such a place. I can't let one negative encounter ruin my daily routine so I mentally marked a strike on their record and will keep a close eye on future interactions and transactions. Part of my issue is that I think this whole thing could've been easily avoided. I've worked in convenience stores before so I can say from personal experience that when you're stocking shelves or sweeping, you can afford to be less than 100% focused. When you're on the register though, you're dealing with straight cash homey, and you MUST have your wits about you at all times. It's just that simple: when you're on the register, Pay Attention!! Because playing with my money is like playing with my emotions!! (if you haven't noticed yet, this is one of my favorite lines to quote)


I've already stopped frequenting Foodie's, a self-described "urban market" located in the South End of Boston, because this one guy made a habit of giving me the wrong change. And since he rarely erred in my favor, I'm fairly certain he's skimming from the register, which I know is a tough way to make an easy living...

Sometimes though, it's just easier to walk away than to make a scene or register a complaint. I wish more people would consider implementing that theory in their daily interactions with friends and foes...

Holla if ya hear me!!

5 comments:

Bitterly Indifferent said...

I'd keep shopping at that location, but don't ever buy anything if that guy is behind the register.

Re: Emotions, it's absolutely more efficient to have them surgically removed and replaced with money. Don't let people play with either.

SawxCJF said...

"D mothaf*cka, D!!!"

Anonymous said...

whatup Big Worm...that was halarious, I think you should keep going there just for the stories LOL!

Willie Tuttafucco said...

Truth be told, I've returned on several occasions...no comical incidents to report.

Anonymous said...

I would have given him a roxbury Azz Kickin and then drank my ice tea from the thirst of it all. Left the empty can on the counter and left.

Darren AKA dNice