Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Going Once...Twice...Sold!!!!

Yo, now you know the path I'm on...Think you're strong...See if you can travel long...Cause only the weak will try to speak...Those who are quiet, will always cause riots...There's three types of people in the world...Those who don't know what happened...Those who wonder what happened...And people like us from the streets that make things happen!!
-Bushwick Bill
Stranded on Death Row
The Chronic, 1992

I requested a copy of Susan Berg's resume and am waiting patiently, so I'm unable to confirm if she qualifies as "people like us from the streets" but there's no denying she's making things happen. The other day I learned that she recently purchased Death Row Records. Yes. The Death Row Records...as in she now owns the royalties to hip hop classics The Chronic, All Eyez on Me, and Doggystyle.

How'd this happen you ask? Suge Knight apparently declared bankruptcy as a result of his ever-increasing legal bills. I still don't know which is worse...getting knocked the fuck out when TMZ just so happens to be there (lmao)...or having to auction off your license to print money a.k.a. having royalty checks made payable to you for some of Dr. Dre's, 2Pac's and Snoop's most classic tracks...

Makes me wish I had an extra $24 million laying around (though I'm equally curious how much higher she was willing to go up to buy the company). The early buzz is about an alleged 20-tracks of unreleased Pac tracks. Does this mean these are the final 20, or just another 20 tracks that most folks would not be familiar with?

How much longer could Suge have delayed his declaration of bankruptcy if he had quit smoking cigars in 1992 when life was good? or perhaps not smoked them at all? If he ever realized that he should have run his goldmine like a CEO instead of a thug, how much would Death Row Records be worth today? According to Wikipedia, the label has sold over 50 million units...

Is it just me or does reading small blurbs really just leave you with a bunch of questions?


When I see the picture above, I can't help but think of that old Sesame Street jingle...
One of these things is not the like others...One of these things just doesn't belong...

Tomorrow (or technically today), I will get back on track, finish "O, Canadia!! (Part Deux)", as I couldn't help but briefly comment on this interesting (IMO) occurence in time...

Holla if ya Hear Me!!
(does this mean I will owe her royalties every time I use this phrase to close the blog? I should probably have my legal team verify that!!!)



2 comments:

JPowell said...

Dear Will,

Questions for the legal team:
1. When is the proper protocol or consequences of posting material on one's blog?

After your inspirational journey as a blogger, I made a humble jamaica love/ wedding blog/ site situation. I feel a bit vulnerable about the whole thing since I have always had paparazzi (government and otherwise) paranoias. I find these quite founded since we live in a hyper-surveillanced society. For example, now you can see a picture of my front door on google maps and I must electronically check-in and out of a job that watches me with several camera. OK, you get the point and I have sufficiently disclaimed so I'll get on with it.

In my world as a student and educator, I always reference using APA or MLA. As a blogger - virtual worlder - what do I do? For example, Alma Thomas's painting "Eclipse" 1970 style is on my blog - can she come after me like Rosa's handlers did Outcast? Can Susan Berg really come after us for the gifts that 2Pac gave the whole world?

Thanks Will, for continuing to push the boundaries of our virtual and physical existence so that we can all be more fully human.

with admiration and respect,
Jozan

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.