Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Just Needed the Proper Motivation

So I've been in a bit of a blog slump lately...and yeah I've had a lot going on but it's really no excuse. I've written many a blog in my head and even have a few in my blogger account in the "Drafted" status...

But today something happened that I just had to write about. And for those who have been following my travails (TY BTW!), it should come as no surprise that it relates to another run-in at a local business. And this time I'm naming names!!!

To give you a little background on the story, this summer I suffered the relative tragedy of watching my second hookah break before my eyes. And it was a most beautiful hookah!!

Anyways, weeks ago, I came up with the idea of getting a replacement base. This idea seemed more like a reality after checking my favorite online hookah retailer (http://www.smoking-hookah.com/). However, before placing an order online, I first tried to support the local economy. There's a store in the South End (Syrian Grocery Importing Co., Inc.) that prominently displays a large hookah (among other things) in the window so I went in one day and inquired if they had replacement bases in-stock or if they'd be able to order me one. After much unnecessary commotion, I was advised that they occasionally have spare parts and that it's a hit-or-miss proposition. They called in the resident hookah-supply expert from the back, who located a spare base. I very quickly saw that this base was way too small for my hookah's shaft (TWSS!). They suggested I bring my hookah but I knew there was no need. They asked me to check back after a few weeks and re-try my luck.

Fast forward to today. My replacement base is already en route, but given my ill-fated history with hookahs, I think it would be wise to have a back-up replacement on hand. So I go back to SGIC,Inc. and remind them that I'm looking for a replacement base if they currently have any in-stock. After advising them that I did not bring my hookah with me, I'm shocked to hear one of them mutter, "who would try to buy the base without bringing the hookah?" Well I guess that would be me, the guy who knows how big his hookah is because I've personally seen it and have held it in my hands. I also am the guy that is willing to purchase one, should I be so lucky that you actually have one!! So I let that comment go unchecked and wait for them to make the call to the bullpen. Out comes the expert again from the back who asks if I brought my hookah with me. I gesture with my hands to indicate the size of the hookah and assure him that if I see a base, I will know if it's the right size and have no problems committing to purchase it. He responds by saying they don't have any in-stock. Immediately afterward, one of them chimes in that they normally come as part of a set and they don't usually have spare parts. Ironically, it was the same guy that questioned why someone would look for a base without bringing their hookah...I am completely and utterly flabbergasted!! And it takes quite a lot to flabbergast me!!!

Was it too difficult to cut my visit short by about 5 minutes and say you don't have any in-stock at the moment? If I had made the mistake of bringing in my hookah so the three of them could have each personally attested to it's size, (should I ever need to subpoena them in a potential missing hookah case) would a base have magically appeared in-stock? Or do you have some inside bet going amongst the employees whereby the challenge is to see how long you can keep a customer engaged, whilst not having the product they are clearly, obviously, and exclusively looking for?

My point is, if you don't have any in-stock, why waste my time asking me questions? The Closer didn't go in the back to confirm if they had any left, he knew it. So I blame him for wasting my time.

Sad thing is, having gone inside this establishment now a couple times, I noticed some things I would come back for. But since I think the place is swarming with jackasses, I'll go find some other Syrian importing company to purchase my gourmet and ethnic foods from.

Rule # 89. Don't patronize me when I'm looking to patronize your establishment!!

Holla if ya Hear me!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is pretty hilarious- so 'third world'. Probably wasn't so funny when u were in the Syrian place but if I daresay, this story shows the slight cultural differences between American and Syrian culture. I mean, I'm willing to bet this same kind of thing would happen at another Syrian store It's not that bad! Go back to the store man.
Krystal Palace
Have you started travelling outside the country yet? Maybe you can go to Syria? ciao ciao

Willie Tuttafucco said...

It was somewhat frustrating but absolutely hilarious. If I can't find humor in these types of trivial occurrences, how do I dare deal with real and actual personal tragedies?

My passport is only 5 months old so I've only made it to Canada in that time. I have dreams of seeing many other places. I can see about putting Syria on the list.