Thursday, April 24, 2008

Feeling trashy like a garbage bag...but far from Glad


So this morning as I'm getting ready for work, I get inspired to pen a new blog entry. By the time I've grabbed my keys, wallet, and jacket, I more or less have it written in my head. As I open my front door, I hear a few birds chirping. Spring is definitely here!!

However, as I get to the end of my driveway and bang a right down the sidewalk, I notice that almost every neighbor in my hood has mistakenly put their trash out a day early.

To back up for a moment, I've lived in this neighborhood for about a year and a half. Admittedly, it took me a while to figure out what day was trash day. Sometimes I'd see trash being put out Wednesday night, other times it was put out Thursday night. Eventually, I figured out that Thursday is the actual trash day, and whenever there is a holiday, it gets pushed back a day. Of course, this puzzle would've been solved much more quickly if I said more than 4 words at a time to any given neighbor (but that's a blog for another time).

Anyways, having been a resident of Taxachusetts for the last 13 years or so, I am fully aware that Patriot's Day is a legal state holiday. Knowing this, I planned on putting my trash out later tonight when I stumble home, most likely in a drunken stupor. If I wasn't already running late this morning, I would've more seriously considered knocking on doors, introducing myself as the guy that's lived here for 19 months without introducing myself, asking if there was some method to their madness. I would've then assured their awareness of Patriot's Day as a legal state holiday, with a reminder that next year it will take place on Monday, April 20th (two holidays for the price of one!! Yayyyy!!!)

Instead, I make my way to the bus stop managing to enjoy the beautiful rays of the sun while I envision what the heat will do to all of that trash baking on the street all day. I think Campbell's said it best: Mmm.. mm Good!!

If I'm lucky, when I get home tonight all of the trash will be gone, and I'll be able to apologize to my neighborhood for being the idiot who not only didn't put his trash out, but chastized everyone else for being on top of their game. We shall see...

So what lesson(s) do I takeaway from this experience? Do I try to be less taciturn in the neighborhood? That's easy enough, small talk can be appended to the general pleasantries. Should I take more of a leadership role despite being one of the younger owners on the block? I could start by printing and distributing copies of the Massachusetts Legal Holidays PDF. Or do I just let it go and focus on the larger issues in life that really matter? This seems like the best route to travel. in fact, once i hit "PUBLISH POST", this will all officially be behind me.

In closing, I'll leave you with a favorite clip from childhood: I Love Trash (1970)

nb: The original blog slated for today will most likely be posted by tomorrow, assuming I don't accidentally delete that file in my head.

3 comments:

SawxCJF said...

Classic...love Oscar...and I'm just now beginning to understand what really becoming part of a neighborhood is...it's different when you own, huh? I feel like being neighborly was so easy and nearly forced in the many apartments we've in habited, but when not placed squarely in those situations by accident it becomes a different game entirely...

Amelia said...

jeez i can't believe you included a photo of the trash heap in this blog!!! i love it!!! where are the gorgs!??!

Willie Tuttafucco said...

The Gorgs will be referenced in a future blog where I countdown the 10 Best and 10 Worst childhood memories stemming from a mixture of puppets and puppeteers...